Science Teacher, Cheyenne Eagle Butte School
This position is part of the Cheyenne Eagle Butte School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Teacher (Science) you will be responsible for serving as a classroom teacher in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The instruction area(s) will normally be Science in a high school setting.
Open & closing dates: 12/10/2018 to 01/09/2019
Pay scale & grade: CY 11
Salary: $27.75 to $56.03 per hour
- 15% recruitment incentive available
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Eagle Butte, SD
As a Teacher (Science) CY-1710-11, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Prepare yearly instructional outlines and related daily lesson plans covering relevant units of study and specifying objectives, activities and evaluative methods/instruments for both group and individual instructional programs.
- Teach students by selecting, developing, adapting and implementing appropriate instructional methods and techniques utilizing available resources to provide for academic achievement.
- Continuously evaluate individual and group academic progress through the use of criterion-referenced tests, periodic standardized tests, oral tests, and/or other relevant evaluative methods/instruments.
- Develop and conduct instruction within an environment that provides and promotes opportunities for the students to develop rapport, inter-relationships, self-discipline and a positive self-image.
- Maintain control of assigned class(es) and handle discipline independently except for chronic or extreme behavior problems.
- Supervise assigned students as scheduled, or provide for their supervision, throughout the academic day and/or activity in order to provide for the safety, health, and welfare of the students in compliance with school, Agency, and Area Guidelines.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPT SUBJECT TO PROBATIONARY PERIOD FOR 2 ACADEMIC SEM, WHICH MAY BE EXT'D
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- CERTIFIED BY STATE DEPT OF EDUCATION AND TEACHER CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- VALID STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE REQUIRED
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Applicants must meet the education/qualification requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 positions. For this position, they are listed below.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR PAY LEVEL 11-17: Possess a Bachelor's Degree (or higher) from an accredited education institution. All professional educators must meet the certification standards for the position in the State where the position is located. Emergency and provisional certificates may be accepted under the conditions they are issued by the State certification authority.
For Pay Level:
11 - Bachelor's (B)
12 - B+15
13 - B+30
14 - Master's (M)
15 - M+15
16 - M+30
17 - Doctorate (earned)
BASIS OF RATING: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and veteran's preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
The Bureau of Indian Education has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework under any circumstances.
SUITABILITY & CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: A background security investigation is required. Appointment is subject to the successful completion of the security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT: Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Classroom Instruction
- Standards Based Assessment
- Sound Classroom Management
- Ability to Communicate