School Counselor, Ojibwa Indian School
This position is part of the Ojibwa Indian School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a School Counselor you will be responsible for serving as a School Counselor in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The counselor is responsible for providing professional counseling services to students.
Open & closing dates: 06/29/2020 to 07/20/2020
Pay scale & grade: CY 21
Salary: $33.84 to $62.22 per hour
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Belcourt, ND
As a School Counselor CY-1710-21, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Serving as a School Guidance Counselor, the incumbent works within the general guidance function supplementing and complementing the guidance role of the Administration, Guidance, academic and/or Vocational Staff.
- Provides individual and group counseling services to students, in the areas of personal, academic and vocational counseling, designed to assist in achieving as acceptable self-concept, self-understand, self-adjustment, self-directiveness and self-discipline; all of which will prepare them to cope with the realities of their environment and life situations in an adequate and self-satisfying manner.
- Conducts individual and group guidance/orientation services for new and re-entering students to orient them to the advantages, requirements, services and opportunities of the school.
- Counsels with students on a regular basis regarding careers, educational, social interest and/or other similar matters, helping them to explore alternatives.
- Conducts and implements the school testing services to meet the needs of the students.
- Collects, interprets and organizes the program data for appraisal purposes. Prepares case summaries, case histories and case studies for professional use. Provides safeguards for the utilization of confidential student data.
- Sets up and maintains files and records of individual and group counseling sessions.
- Utilizes the services of the other disciplines and promotes the interdisciplinary team approach to problem solving. Also uses community and other agency referral services to assist students.
- As requested, assists dormitory and other school staff in in-service and seminary training sessions. Acts as liaison to community referral sources.
- Works closely with the academic staff, to follow the academic growth of students; recommend conferences to discuss individual student problems experienced in the academic area with concerned staff members, for the purpose of arriving at solutions to student problems. Serves a team member on IEP and IRG student committees.
- Counsels with each student based on career surveys of each individual and prepares a class schedule that reflects the career pathway of one career academy.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT SUBJECT TO PROBATIONARY PERIOD FOR 2 ACADEMIC SEMESTERS, WHICH MAY BE EXTENDED
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- MUST BE CERTIFIED BY STATE DEPT OF EDUCATION AND COUNSELOR CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- VALID STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE REQUIRED
- GOVERNMENT QUARTERS ARE AVAILABLE
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Applicants must meet the education/qualification requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 positions. For this position, they are listed below.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR PAY LEVEL 21-24: Applicant will have successfully completed a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Masters degree in guidance & counseling or counseling psychology or closely related field. Applicants must qualify for state certification in the state where they will be employed. Emergency and provisional certifications may be accepted under the conditions imposed by the state certification authority.
For Pay Level:
21 - Master's (M)
22 - M+15
23 - M+30
24 - Doctorate (earned)
BASIS OF RATING: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and veteran's preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
To apply for this position, submit a complete Application Package at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/572165600 which includes:
1. Your resume (current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone phone number):
- Must be 3 professional references
2. Copy of official college transcript(s) (REQUIRED)
3. Copy of valid State Teaching License (REQUIRED)
Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
- OF-306 Declaration of Federal Employment https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
- Indian Children Protection Requirements: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/text/idc2-104343.pdf
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" if current or former Federal employee
- DD-214 (member copy 4)
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
- If you are unable to apply online, you must request an alternative application which is available from the Human Resources Office. Please contact Cory Keplin at email@example.com or 701-477-3108 to obtain an alternative application.